How to Get Google Reviews
Write reviews and add ratings of places
You can write reviews using Google Maps for places you’ve visited. You may also be asked to leave information about these place. These come in the form of questions asked by Google. It is completely voluntary, but your answers may help others have a better experience by understanding what to expect there. It is against Google's policy to offer any compensation in exchange for reviews of your company, and Google doesn't ever pay reviewers for adding them to Google Maps.
Reviews are Public
Your review will be made public, so anyone can see what you write. It is not possible to create an anonymous review. They will be able to see your name, your Google "about me" profile, and any photos that you have uploaded.
How to Create a Link to Your Review Page
As of April 2019, Google has been rolling out a new feature to create a "Short URL" to share with customers. You can share short URL from your Google My Business dashboard. Don't forget that Google My Business now has an app to use on your mobile device. This is much more convenient and allows messages to come through without having to share your mobile phone number. Customers can leave reviews and view your Business Profile by using your Short URL.
Previously-created links through the PlaceID Lookup Tool or from Google Search will continue to work, however, it is recommended that your business create a short name and use a short URL for customers as soon as it is available to you. You can go to your Google My Business dashboard and click "Info" to see if it's available to you.
Get Google Reviews by Sharing Your Short URL With Your Customers
How to Share your Short URL from Your Desktop
- Sign in to Google My Business.
- Select your location (if you have more than one)
- In the menu on the left, click Home.
- In the “Get more reviews” card, you can copy your short URL to share with customers.
How to Share your Short URL from Your Mobile Device
(the below instructions are directly from Google)
- On your mobile device, open the Google My Business app .
- Tap Customers > Reviews.
- In the top right, tap Share .
- Copy your short URL to share with customers.
Your customers will be able to rate your business and leave a review. Learn how to read and reply to customer reviews with Google's suggestions.
Understanding Google's policies is important. This is what they state:
"Keep in mind that it’s against Google review policies to solicit reviews from customers by offering incentives or setting up review stations at your place of business. Reviews that violate the policy may be removed." - Google
Create a short name & URL for your business
If you have verified your Google My Business listing, then you can create a short name for your Business Profile making it easier for your customers to find you.
Your customers can enter the short name URL in their browser’s address bar, like “g.page/[yourcustomname],” to go directly to your Business Profile and leave a review.
How to create a short name
Your "short name" should be easy to remember and make sense to your customers. Use your company name, or name and city if you have a common business name. But make sure to keep it simple
Keep your short name simple so you can easily promote it, and customers can remember it. If you have a short name, you’ll get a short URL to request reviews from your customers. Learn more about short URLs for reviews. If the option below doesn't appear on your account, then it is not yet available to you. Google will be rolling this service out in the summer of 2019. So keep checking back on your Google My Business page.
- Sign in to Google My Business.
- Open the location you want to create a short name for (if you have more than one)
- From the menu, click Info > Add profile short name.
- Enter your short name. You can enter up to 32 characters.
- If your name isn’t available, you’ll receive an error message and have to choose a different name. Try abbreviating your name or adding other descriptions, like your location. You can also pick another word that describes your business or brand.
- Click Apply. Your short name will show as pending, and when it’s ready, it’ll show on your Business Profile.
Create a link using the PlaceID Lookup Tool
This is the option that has been used to date. The new Short Code method isn't available to everyone right now. If you don't have that option in your Google My Business account, then use the old "Place ID" method to create a link.
To create a link using the PlaceID Lookup Tool:
- Use the PlaceID Lookup Tool
- Enter your business name in the “Enter a location” field at the top of the map.
- Click your business name in the list that appears.
- Copy your Place ID, which you'll see beneath your business name.
- Add your Place ID to the following URL to create your link: https://search.google.com/local/writereview?placeid=<place_id>